Immunity and Health Records
At the time of application:
In order to be in compliance with clinical site requirements, applicants must provide documentation (official lab report) of a Quantitative (numerical value) Hepatitis B Surface Antibody Immunity (HbsAb) titer completed within the past 3 years that reflects immunity to the hepatitis B virus. This lab result must be submitted at the time of application. The HBsAb is a blood test that validates an individual is immune to the virus. LAB REPORTS SIMPLY STATING “NEGATIVE” OR “POSITIVE” ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
If the HbsAb demonstrates a lack of immunity to hepatitis B, students MUST provide all the following with your application:
- Documentation of the previously completed series of 3 immunizations,
- The original lab report
- Evidence of at least the first booster shot in the NEXT series of 3-4 immunizations AFTER the negative titer.
PLEASE NOTE: CDC guidelines recommend that students who are receiving their first series follow the schedule of immunizations at zero, one and six months, with a titer four to six weeks following the third immunization. This takes seven (7) months. Simply getting immunizations/vaccinations without the titers is NOT SUFFICIENT and may prevent you from being admitted to clinical sites.
Once admitted to the program:
- Proof of Immunity (in the form of serological titers with quantitative/numerical value lab reports) is required for all nursing programs and must be completed prior to final admission. Any negative titer will require documentation of your previous immunizations, along with the negative titer lab report, and proof of booster(s)/re-vaccination. History of the disease is NOT sufficient, you must have the titers.
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): positive quantitative IgG titers. If any are negative, documentation of prior immunizations, the negative titer lab report, and proof of booster vaccination is required.
- Varicella (Chicken pox): positive quantitative IgG titer. If negative, documentation of prior immunizations, the negative titer lab report, and proof of booster vaccination is required.
- Tdap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) Vaccination: Adult does within the past 10 years.
- TB Testing: PPD skin test results must be reported in “mm” (not just as positive or negative) with the date given and the date when read, or submit a lab report for an IGRA (T-SPOT or Quantiferon Gold) test done within the past 3 months. If PPD or IGRA result is positive, you must submit a radiology report to specifically rule out active disease, along with the positive skin test report in “mm” or positive IGRA lab report. Note: TB testing is only valid for one year and is required just before clinical courses start so it stays valid for the entire year. It cannot expire in the middle of a semester.
- Health History on the LSC-Provided form.
- Physical Examination by a licensed health care provider.
Revised and approved: 02/2016