F1 Visa International Student Insurance
Lone Star College System (LSCS) requires that all F-1 visa international students, with a Lone Star College System (LSCS) issued I-20, maintain health insurance coverage as a condition of enrollment. The premium for the LSCS Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) will be automatically charged to the student’s tuition and fees statement.
Academic Health Plans (AHP) provides program management and administrative services for the LSCS SHIP through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.
You may apply for a waiver, if you have an alternative health insurance plan that meets the following LSCS waiver criteria:
- Student is sponsored by a foreign government recognized by the United States or certain international, government-sponsored or non-governmental organizations, and covered under a health plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, coverage may be purchased from Academic HealthPlans to supplement the provided health plan; or
- Student is enrolled in an employer-provided group health plan that is compliant with the ACA. If the health plan does not include medical evacuation and repatriation, coverage may be purchased from Academic HealthPlans to supplement the employer provided health plan.
- 2015-2016 F1 Visa Orientation Presentation
- Temporary Coverage Period - Doctor
- Temporary Coverage Period - Prescriptions
- Waiver Process
- Summer Premium Refund Form
- F-1 Insurance Fee Adjustment Request Form (Advisors)
AHP processes all waiver requests for LSCS. The waiver process for students starting Fall 2015 will open June 1, 2015 and close on August 21, 2015.
What documentation is required to request a waiver?
To apply for a waiver, you will need the following:
- Copy of the front and back of your current insurance ID card with student name;
- Alternative Health Insurance Plan Benefit Summary (including exclusions);
- Proof of Medical Evacuation and Repatriation coverage (if needed, available through AHP);
- Lone Star College System Student ID number available.
Once your waiver is submitted and valid proof of documentation is received by AHP, you will be notified via email within 5-7 business days of the status of your waiver request. It may take up to 10-14 business days once the waiver has been approved to process a refund through your tuition and fees. If your tuition bill is due before your waiver application is processed, pay the fee and if approved, the refund will be processed at a later date.
Voluntary Enrollment for F1 Visa Student Dependents
Dependent enrollment must take place at the time of student enrollment, with the exception of newborn or adopted children. Dependent coverage is available only if the student is also insured. Dependent coverage must be the exact same coverage period of the Insured; and therefore, will expire concurrently with that of the student. Academic Health Plans (AHP) provides program management and administrative services for LSCS F-1 Visa international student dependents through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas.