The Write Place: Policies
Preparation, Appointments, and Cancellations
- Making the Most of the Session: Writers should bring with them any written instructions provided by their instructor for the assignment they will be working on. They should allow a minimum of 24 hours between the session and the assignment due date.
- Scheduling Appointments: All appointments are for 30 minutes. You cannot make appointments back to back. There is no limit per week or semester. There is a limit to one per day (see below).
- Late Arrivals: The consultant will allow a five-minute grace period to show up for an appointment. After that, the appointment will be forfeited and marked as a no-show.
- Cancellations: As soon as it is known that an appointment cannot be kept, please call or email us to cancel.
- No-Show Policy: If a writer misses two scheduled appointments for any reason, he or she will not be permitted to schedule appointments for the remainder of the current semester. The writer may continue to use walk-in services when consultants are available.
- Number of Sessions per day: A writer may schedule one appointment per day, so be sure to have everything ready for your session. We must limit things to one per day to accommodate the most students.
In the Writing Center
- Computers are reserved for academic use only, particularly writing-related tasks.
- If you want to print some of your writing in order to go over it with a consultant, this is free. For other printing needs, please use an open computer lab on campus such as the Library or the Learning Center.
- Please keep your voice low to avoid distracting others.
- Cell phone use is prohibited in the writing center. Please step outside if you need to take a call.
- Try to keep the room neat and tidy. We ask that you refrain from eating and drinking at the computers, throw away any trash, and return your chair to its original position before you leave.