At the time of application:
Applicants must submit blood test results, specifically a quantitative (numerical value) Hepatitis B Surface Antibody titer (HbsAb) laboratory report (with reference range) dated within the past three (3) years.
Process for a non-immune HbsAb titer:
Students are required to submit the following documentation with the application:
- Documentation of the previously completed series of three (3) vaccinations
- The original laboratory report reflecting a lack of immunity to the hepatitis B virus.
- Documentation of the first booster in the next series of vaccinations.
For those who have a history of Hepatitis B infection, please contact the Director of Nursing for more information. You will be required to provide a letter from a Healthcare provider stating the history of Hepatitis B.
Students who wait until the final week of the application period to submit their applications run the risk of being denied admission due to the submission of an incorrect document, such as a wrong Hepatitis B titer. Submission of incorrect documents will cause the application to be rejected. It is the student's responsibility to read and understand the requirements of the application process and to submit an application with the appropriate required documents in a timely manner.
PLEASE NOTE: CDC guidelines recommend that students who are receiving their first series follow the schedule of immunizations at zero, one and six months, with a titer four to six weeks following the third immunization. This takes seven (7) months. Simply getting immunizations/vaccinations without the titers is NOT SUFFICIENT and may prevent you from being admitted to clinical sites.
Once admitted to the program:
- Proof of Immunity (in the form of serological titers with quantitative/numerical value lab reports) is required for all nursing programs and must be completed prior to final admission within the last 3 years. Any negative titer will require documentation of your previous immunizations, along with the negative titer lab report, and proof of booster(s)/re-vaccination. History of the disease is NOT sufficient, you must have the titers.
- MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): positive quantitative IgG titers. If any are negative, documentation of prior immunizations, the negative titer lab report, and proof of booster vaccination is required.
- Varicella (Chicken pox): positive quantitative IgG titer. If negative, documentation of prior immunizations, the negative titer lab report, and proof of booster vaccination is required.
- Tdap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Pertussis) Vaccination: Adult does within the past 10 years.
- Hepatitis C Screen - Beginning with the January, 2018 application periods, all programs now require a Hepatitis C screen. This blood test screens for the presence of hepatitis C and is reported as positive or negative.
- TB Testing: PPD skin test results must be reported in “mm” (not just as positive or negative) with the date given and the date when read, or submit a lab report for an IGRA (T-SPOT or Quantiferon Gold) test done within the past 3 months. If PPD or IGRA result is positive, you must submit a radiology report to specifically rule out active disease, along with the positive skin test report in “mm” or positive IGRA lab report. Note: TB testing is only valid for one year and is required just before clinical courses start so it stays valid for the entire year. It cannot expire in the middle of a semester.
- Health History on the LSC-Provided form.
- Physical Examination by a licensed health care provider.
Revised and approved: 02/2016