× LoneStarCollegeALERT:

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if a student earns a D or an F in a Dual Credit class?

If a student earns a D in a dual credit course he/she may receive high school credit but will not receive college credit. A grade of D does not transfer to another institution.  This would result in the student needing to retake the college course to transfer the credit earned. 
If a student earns an F in a dual credit course, he/she will not receive high school or college credit for the course. Students earning a dual credit grade below C will no longer be eligible to continue in the dual credit program.

A student must earn a C or higher to continue to be eligible to enroll in dual credit courses.

How do Dual Credit classes impact athletic eligibility?

According to UIL rules, dual credit courses are eligible for UIL exemptions, but due to the limited number of grades issued in these college courses, students may not have the opportunity to become UIL eligible after a failing mid-term grade.

How many grades are issued in a Dual Credit Course?

Dual credit course are actual college courses and therefore follow the traditional college requirements for grades issued to students. As a result, students should expect a midterm grade and a final grade. It is at the discretion of the dual credit instructor to issue additional grades to students.

How do I add a Dual Credit Course?

Students may not add a course after the class has met once.

Do Dual Credit Courses meet graduation requirements?

Determination that a college course meets the high school TEKS/learning outcomes for a particular high school course is the responsibility of the school district or private/charter/home school.  Lone Star College does not identify courses as meeting any particular TEA requirements for high school graduation.  Lone Star College-Online has designed some online dual credit courses to meet the TEKS, but additional outcomes required by any school/district will need to be supplemented by that school/district.  All decisions regarding a student's high school graduation plan should be determined by their school counselor/administrator..

What is the process for dropping or withdrawing from a Dual Credit class?

If a student chooses to withdraw from a college course, he or she must meet with their high school counselor FIRST. The high school counselor can assist the student in withdrawing from the college side of a dual credit course.  The student must complete and submit an official college Withdrawal Form at LSC prior to the college's last official date for withdrawal.  Failure to do so could result in the student receiving an "F" on his/her official LSC transcript. The student will also need to work with the high school counselor to enroll in the appropriate high school course.

No Dual Credit Drop Form is required from the student before the term begins. After the term begins, a student must complete a Lone Star College drop form so that the withdrawal from the Dual Credit course can be properly processed. Failure to complete a drop form could result in an F on a studentís college transcript.

 What are the consequences of dropping a Dual Credit course at the beginning of the semester?

For high school Dual Credit courses, changes and/or drops can occur only within the first ten days of the semester. Courses dropped before the Official Day of Record will not be reflected on the studentís college transcript. After the Official Day, a grade will be reflected on the studentís college transcript.

What are the consequences of dropping a Dual Credit course after the first ten days of a semester and prior to the drop date?

The student will receive a W on his/her college transcript. Per the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, students who are still enrolled in high school are not affected by the provisions of SB 1231 Six-Drop Rule and any course a student drops while they are still enrolled in high school should not be counted toward the limitation on dropped courses. The provisions of the Six-Drop Rule are effective for college courses dropped after high school graduation throughout the studentís entire undergraduate college career. Students are not eligible for state or federal financial aid while enrolled in high school. However,  grades earned, including a W, for college courses taken while in high school can impact a student's future financial aid under the collegeís Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy, because they are recorded on the college transcript..

What are the consequences of dropping a Dual Credit course after the official drop date?

Withdrawals after the official drop-date may result in a student receiving an F on the studentís college transcript.


Apply for Dual Credit

Make LSC part of your story.