Diagnostic Medical Sonography AAS
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography AAS degree (AAS_SONO) is offered at LSC-CyFair and has additional entrance requirements. For more information, please contact the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Department.
Visit the Health Science cluster page for similar careers.
The associate of applied science degree in diagnostic medical sonography is designed to prepare graduates to use ultrasound as a medical procedure to view internal organs for diagnostic purposes. Unlike x-rays, ultrasound is radiation free; it uses high frequency sound waves to produce the images of the internal organs. The program provides training and scanning instruction in abdominal, gynecological, obstetrical, and superficial structures. Sonography is also used as guidance during special procedures such as fine needle biopsies to remove tissue samples for lab testing. Professionals performing these examinations are known as sonographers. Upon completion of this LSCS program, graduates may apply to take the credentialing exam to become a registered sonographer for the abdomen and gynecological/obstetrics specialties, through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS).
Prior To Application
Students must complete all appropriate developmental coursework or retake the section of ASSET, ACCUPLACER, COMPASS, or THEA and score high enough to place into college-level courses.
Students must complete ENGL 1301, MATH 1314, PHYS 1410, BIOL 2404 prior to the first DMSO/DSAE course in the AAS degree. RADR 1313 and RADR 2305 may be substituted for the PHYS course requirement.
Clinical space is limited, so students are admitted on a competitive basis. In addition to the general admission requirements of the LSCS, the following requirements must be met in order to apply for admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography AAS programs.
- College entry-level ability in mathematics and English (reading/writing) as defined by LSCS. For further information, contact any of the student development offices.
- Satisfactory completion of Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology 2404 with a “C” or better within the previous five years and prior to submission of an application for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs. Refresher anatomy & physiology courses are available through continuing education for students whose biology is older than five years and who do not desire to repeat the courses for credit. If a refresher is used, it reinstates the original (credit) grade. Contact Program Director for additional details.
- Complete the following courses with a “C” or better: ENGL 1301, MATH 1314, PHYS 1410
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in college.
- Students must register for and take the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Test.
- Must complete Hepatitis B immunization series prior to the first clinical course (this may take 3 to 6 months to complete). Applicants must provide written documentation of all immunizations or titers received and a satisfactory physical exam on a college-approved form found on the website.
- Prospective students are required to attend an information session and obtain an information session certificate.
- Final acceptance into the program is contingent upon a satisfactory background check (as required by clinical facilities) that is completed by a college approved agency at the student’s expense. Clinical facilities may also require completion of satisfactory drug screening and verification of medical insurance.
Applicants who have failed or withdrawn from any LSCS sonography program will be considered on an individual basis. Readmission is not automatic. It is based on remediation of an identified problem area and space availability. Students who wish to be readmitted must interview with the program’s Readmission Committee and follow current readmission guidelines.
At this interview, the student will be asked to describe what steps have been taken in the intervening months to improve the chance of success and an action plan for improvement of academic and/or clinical performance. In addition, students seeking readmission must submit three letters of their standing from the prior sonography program. One letter should be a “report of status” from the former program director. Readmission into the sonography program must occur within one year of non-completion. A student may be readmitted into the sonography one time only.
An individual’s request to transfer into any LSCS sonography program will be reviewed on an individual basis by the program director, and only after meeting Lone Star College entrance requirements. Transfer students must meet all admission requirements of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. It is recommended to allow a minimum of three months for processing. Class placement is based on previous achievement and space availability. Admission is considered only if prior program enrollment has been within one (1) year and the candidate is in good standing in a program or in previous program. All of the following steps must be completed for consideration.
- Completion of official transfer application.
- Written statement from the student describing his/her reasons for originally leaving the program.
- Submit current official transcripts from any colleges or universities that the student has attended.
- Submit three letters of his/her standing from the prior sonography program. One letter should be a “report of status” from the former program director.
Effective Fall 2015. Important note: refer to "Prior to Application and Admission Criteria" details above for current application and prerequisite course requirements, application dates are 3/7/16-6/1/16 (by 3:00 p.m.)
Prerequisite Semester Credits
|ENGL||1301||Composition and Rhetoric I||3|
|BIOL||2404||Intro to Anatomy and Physiology||4|
TOTAL Prerequisite Semester Credits:
First Year Credits
First Semester Credits
|DMSO||1351||Sonographic Crosssectional Anatomy||3|
|DMSO||1302||Basic Ultrasound Physics||3|
|DMSO||1360||Clinical - Diagnostic Medical Sonography Technician||3|
TOTAL First Semester Credits:
Second Semester Credits
|DMSO||1342||Intermediate Ultrasound Physics||3|
|DMSO||2405||Sonography of Obstetrics/Gynecology||4|
|DMSO||2253||Sonography of Superficial Structures||2|
|SOCI||1301||Principles of Sociology||3|
TOTAL Second Semester Credits:
Third Semester Credits
|DMSO||2342||Sonography of High Risk Obstetrics||3|
TOTAL Third Semester Credits:
Second Year Credits
First Semester Credits
|DSVT||2200||Vascular Technology Applications||2|
|DMSO||2130||Advanced Ultrasound Review||1|
TOTAL First Semester Credits:
TOTAL Credits for Diagnostic Medical Sonography AAS Degree:
- Choose from the AAS core
- Capstone course