LSC-Kingwood Fire Science Technology Department
Steps of Enrollment and Success
- You must first apply at Lone Star College-Kingwood through the online application process. Admissions Application
- Meet with an academic advisor at the Lone Star College-Kingwood campus. All classes are held from 5:00 – 11:00 pm, Monday through Thursday. Certification is a two semester program – you must begin with a cohort in the fall semester and complete the program at the end of the following spring semester.
- With advisor approval, register for the program. Note that there are three options: Structural Firefighter Certification, Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Fire Science Technology, or Continuing Education (for certification only). Your advisor will help you choose the correct program for your needs.
- You must be certified physically fit by your physician using the Physical Exam Form provided by the Fire Academy staff. You will not be allowed to participate in any activities or instruction until this form is turned in to the Academy staff.
- Enrollment is limited to 25 students; admission to the Academy is on a first come, first served basis, so early enrollment is highly encouraged.
- Lone Star College-Kingwood Fire Academy will begin in August and will end in May. This is a two semester course load, approximately eight months.
- General Physical Fitness Requirements:
- Must be able to run 1.5 miles under 13:15 minutes.
- Must be able to lift heavy objects - approximately 150 lbs.
- Must fully participate in a required physical agility course while attending the academy.
- Must be in good general health.
- Your weight must be in proportion to your height.
- Must turn in Physical Exam Form, completed and signed by your physician - due by the first week of class and delivered to Program Director at LSC-Kingwood.
- Background Check through CertifiedBackground.com and turned into Admissions Counselor and approved by the program director.
Financial Aid is available through the financial Aid office (see your advisor)
|Running Shoes||Own Purchase|
|Fire Fighter Gear Rental (9 months)||*$775.00 + $200 Deposit|
*Your own NFPA Structural Firefighting Gear may be used upon Director's approval. All personal gear used must have a current NFPA Advanced Inspection Certificate that will be good throughout the entire class.
**Prices subject to change
|Fire gear rental package - Bunker pants and coat, Helmet, Gloves, Hood, Bunker boots, Gear and SCBA bag||$775.00 plus $200.00 refundable deposit|
|PT Uniform Package - 4 T-Shirts w/ LSC logo, 2 Gym Shorts w/ LSC logo, 1 Sweatpants w/LSC logo, 1 Sweatshirt w/LSC logo||$100.00|
|Jones & Bartlett Book Package (Recommended) - Fundamentals of Firefighting 3rd Ed, Fundamentals of Firefighting Workbook, HazMat Prep Awareness and Ops, Exam Prep Firefighter 1 & 2)||$245.00|
|Recommended Reading (Required) - Essentials of Fire Fighting and Fire Department Operations (6th Edition)||$100.00|
|PPE CARE Lone Star Fire Academy|
- Fundamentals of Firefighter Skills, 3rd Edition
- Fundamentals of Fire Skills Student Work book 3rd edition, Jones and Bartlett
- Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations, Jones and Bartlett
- Exam Prep. Firefighter 1 and 2