College Board CLEP Exams
Shorten your path to a college degree — with CLEP!
The College-Level Examination Program® or CLEP provides students of any age with the opportunity to demonstrate college-level achievement through a program of exams in undergraduate college courses. There are 2,900 colleges that grant credit and/or advanced standing for CLEP exams. Visit the College Board Web site to find exam descriptions and other information. The CLEP Official Study Guide is available at our reserves desk on the 2nd floor of the library. You can also download a CLEP Study Guide and take sample practice tests from the College Board Web.
Why take CLEP exams?
By taking one or more CLEP exams in your strong subjects, you'll...
- Save time. Get college credit for what you already know. Be rewarded for what you've learned through independent study, advanced high school courses, noncredit adult courses, or professional development.
- Save money. Compare the cost of a CLEP exam, just $80, to hundreds — even thousands — of dollars in tuition. CLEP exams are free to military service members.
- Make college more interesting. Move right into advanced courses.
- Graduate on time. CLEP can help you to the finish line if you're a few credits shy of graduating.
- Satisfy a proficiency requirement. Demonstrate you've already mastered the content of, for example, a basic math or language course. Great for dual-degree candidates or students just a few credits shy of graduation.
The CLEP examination fee is $85 which will be paid online to CollegeBoard.
The optional essay fee is $10. Lone Star College-Tomball charges an administrative fee of $15 per CLEP test. You can pay these fees at the bursar's office. CLEP testing is available by appointment on Mondays and Wednesdays from 2:00pm – 4:00pm and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:00am – 12:00pm.
You need to perform the following steps prior to taking your exam:
- Create an Account on CollegeBoard.org
- Register for the CLEP Test you will be taking
- Pay the $85 registration fee to CollegeBoard
- Call the Assessment Center at 832-559-4245 and schedule your appointment
You will need to present the following when you arrive to take the exam at the LSC-Tomball Assessment Center
- CollegeBoard.org Testing Ticket
- A Government Issued Photo ID (e.g. Driver's License, Passport, State Issued ID Card)
- Paid Recepit from the LSC-Tomball Cashiers/Bursars office in the amount of $15