× LoneStarCollegeALERT:

No Alerts at this time.

Visit LoneStarCollegeAlert for more information.

Registering for ESOL classes can be done in three easy steps:

  1. LSC-Kingwood ESOL ProgramComplete an application in advising located in the Student Conference Center (SCC)
  2. Take the placement test
  3. See an ESOL advisor to register for ESOL classes.

New students must take the ESOL Program's Placement Test (ESOL Accuplacer) before enrolling in a class. The test has 5 sections: listening, grammar, reading, sentence meaning, and writing. The first 4 sections are done on the computer, and the writing part is completed on paper. The test takes between 2 to 3 hours to complete. The test is administered in the Testing Center (SCC 223), and you must have a picture ID to be able to take the test. 

You may register in academic ESOL courses in two ways. One way is to enroll as a continuing education (CE) student, and the other is to enroll as a credit student. Regardless of how you register, you will sit in the same class and receive the same quality instruction.Whether you register as a CREDIT student or a CE student, you must see an ESOL advisor first. To register for ESOL classes, please see Ita Jervis, ESOL/international student advisor, in SCC 111 (Phone: 281-312-1536).

Below are some of the differences between the two methods of enrollment:

Credit Continuing Education
Curriculum Recommended for students whose goal is to improve their English for academic or professional purposes. Recommended for students who wish to improve their English for everyday use, their job, or other non-academic purposes.
Registration For students who are permanent residents or citizens, or are in the United States on certain types of visas, including the F-1 visa. All students, except for international (F-1) students, can register for ESOL courses through Continuing Education.
Tuition For the most updated fees, please check Updated Fees For the most updated fees, please check th eCE Class Schedule.
Grading Students receive a grade of A, B, or C, if they pass the course, and IP or F if they don't. Students can withdraw from a course before a certain date and receive a W. Students receive an "S" if they pass the course and an "N" if they don't pass or don’t complete the requirements of the course.
Grade Reports Students receive a transcript of their grades. Students with too many absences are dropped from the course. Students receive a certificate for the successful completion of the course at the end of each semester. Students with too many absences or students who stop attending the class will not receive a certificate of completion.