Fire prevention and safety is the responsibility of everyone in the Lone Star College community. It is essential for all students, employees, and community members to recognize fire hazards, practice building evacuations, and know what to do when a fire alarm sounds.
Lone Star College’s Environmental Health and Life Safety (EHLS) Department is responsible for the maintenance and compliance of the College’s fire and life safety systems. EHLS collaborates with the LSC Police Department, Department of Emergency Preparedness, campus personnel, and local agencies to develop and maintain quality emergency preparedness to create safe working and learning environments.
EHLS Fire Safety Responsibilities
- Compliance with internal and external fire system inspections
- Ensure maintenance and functionality of fire systems
- Maintenance of location fire safety plans
- Conduct fire warden training
- Conduct fire drills
- Communication and awareness of fire prevention and safety practices
- Provide fire extinguisher usage training
General Fire Safety Reminders
- If there is a fire inside a building, activate a fire alarm or pull station or call 911.
- Review evacuation routes.
- If a fire alarm sounds, evacuate the building immediately.
- Never use an elevator to exit during a fire alarm notification.
- Move a safe distance away from the building.
- All persons are required to participate in drills.
- Do not reenter a building unless directed by a clearance notification.
- Follow directions of safety personnel.