English Proficiency Requirement
Proof of sufficient English proficiency is required to ensure that prospective students can benefit from Lone Star College courses. All applicants, including those who plan to take English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) classes, must submit one of the following:
- Official transcripts from an accredited U.S. college or university showing successful completion of coursework including a college-level writing course (not ESOL).
- Official records from a foreign high school or higher education institution where English is the primary language of instruction may indicate English proficiency. Upon arrival, students will be required to take placement testing to determine eligibility for admission into college-transfer courses. Students who do not meet the minimum scores will be required to take developmental English and/or ESOL courses.
- Minimum scores on one of the following English language tests. Scores are valid for two years:
- Composite scores: TOEFL 347; TOEFL IBT 19, IELTS 2, TOEIC 255
- Score per section (Reading, Language Use, Sentence Meaning, and Listening sections required): ACCUPLACER ESL 46.
- Admitted students may be required to assess for placement in the intensive English language program (ESOL program) or developmental English classes upon arrival depending on their test scores.
The following scores allow students to take the Texas Success Initiative (TSI) test to determine eligibility for admission into college-transfer courses. Scores are valid for two years:
- Composite Scores: TOEFL paper 530; TOEFL IBT 71; TOEIC 700; or IELTS 6.0
- Score per section (Reading, Language Use, Sentence Meaning, and Listening sections required): ACCUPLACER ESL 120
Students who have recently taken approved college assessment tests (ACT, SAT, STAAR, TAKS, TAAS) may be exempt from may be exempt from all, or part of, the TSI Assessment. See http://www.lonestar.edu/placement-testing-info.htm for more information.
Use the email addresses below to contact the DSO/ISA at the campus you plan to attend.
Hiam El Dahouk
Kingwood - SCC 133
Student Services Bldg 108A
Sarah E. James
Julie La Combe
Building 13, Office 220-G
LSC - International Student Admissions Questions
|Register for Classes|
|Maps and Tours|
Tuition & Fees
|Browse the Catalog|
April 1 - July 1
September 15 - November 1
April 1 - August 15
September 15 - December 15
Change-of-Status applications are processed only for one semester at a time based on specific eligibility criteria.The campus ISA/DSO must receive your application on or before:
July 1 (For program start date in August)
November 1 (For program start date in January)