English Proficiency Requirement
Sufficient English proficiency can be demonstrated by submitting one of the following:
- Official transcripts from an accredited U.S. college or university showing successful completion of coursework including a college-level writing course (not ESOL).
- Official records from a foreign high school or higher education institution where English is the primary language of instruction may indicate English proficiency.
- Minimum scores on approved ESOL tests for admission into the Intensive English Program: TOEFL paper 347; TOEFL IBT 19; TOEIC 255; IELTS 3; or Compass ESL Reading 42-57; Listening 42-57; and Grammar 42-57. Upon arrival, individuals will be assessed for placement into the intensive English program.
- TOEFL paper 530 or TOEFL IBT 71; TOEIC 700; IELTS 5.7; or Compass 99 allow students to take the TSI test for admission into college-transfer courses.
- Students who have recently taken approved college assessment tests (SAT, ACT) may be exempt from part or all placement tests. See chart below.
Test scores are valid for 2 years.
Chart A (TSI Complete/Exempt)
|Minimum Score and Course Requirements|
|SAT*||1070 combined with 500 Verbal/Critical Reading||1070 combined with 500 Math|
|ACT*||23 composite with 19 English||23 composite with 19 Math|
|11 Grade TAKS**||2200 with 3 on essay||2200|
|TAAS***||89 Reading||1770 Writing||86 Texas Learning Index (TLI)|
|STAAR****||English III: Level II: 2000 (Reading) and 2000 (Writing)||Algebra II: Level II 4000+|
*SAT and ACT: the combined score with the specified minimum scores above shall be exempt for those corresponding sections.
**TAKS: a minimum scale score of 2200 on the math section and/or a minimum scale score of 2200 on the English Language Arts section with a writing subsection score of at least 3, shall be exempt from the assessment required under this title for those corresponding sections.
*** TAAS: a minimum scale score of 1770 on the writing test, a Texas Learning Index (TLI) of 86 on the mathematics test and 89 on the reading test shall be exempt from the assessment required for those corresponding sections.
****STAAR end-of-course (EOC) with a minimum score of Level 2 on the English III shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment for both reading and writing, and a minimum score of Level 2 on the Algebra II EOC shall be exempt from the TSI Assessment for the mathematics section.
SAT, ACT, STAAR, TAKS and TSI exemptions are valid for 5 years if the student has enrolled in an institution of higher education during that time period (does not have to be just LSCS); TAAS scores are valid for 3 years if the student has enrolled in an institution of higher education during that time period (does not have to be just LSCS).
|Step1: Apply for
|Step 2: Apply for F-1 Visa with U.S. Government|
|Step 3: Attend Orientation|
|Step 4: Meet with an Advisor|
|Step 5: Register and Pay for Classes|
|Register for Classes|
|Maps and Tours|
Tuition & Fees
|Browse the |
- Fall Semester: April 1 - July 1
- Spring Semester: September 15 - November 1