Prior Learning Assessment
What Is Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)?
An opportunity for students to demonstrate their knowledge in a number of content areas for course credit. Lone Star College faculty assess employment, industry certification/licenses, non-credit workforce training, workplace training, exams and military service for content matches to available courses. Students benefit from lower costs and avoid repetition of material mastered outside the traditional college experience.
How Does It Work?
- Students meet with an advisor to request a credit assessment.
- Advisors/Counselors verify eligibility and submit assessment requests for evaluation.
- If students meet all eligibility criteria, credit is awarded.
PLA Criteria and Guidelines
- Enrolled in a LSC academic program in the current semester.
- Provide official documentation (transcripts, license/certification, etc.) supporting the request for PLA credit.
- Meet eligibility requirements specific to the PLA option.
- Requests must be processed with an LSC advisor or counselor.
- Acceptance of PLA credit toward the Honors College degree plan is at the discretion of the campus Honors College director.
- Credit is awarded after a student has been enrolled past official day of the current, academic semester. The calendar date for official day is identified on the LSC Academic Calendar.
- PLA credit is only awarded when it applies to the Lone Star College System program(s) of study.
- Credit for PLA by Exam is applicable only to LSC graduation requirements and will not appear on the official transcript. Exception: Credit for the AVANT placement exams is transferable.
- PLA credit posts as "TCR" on transcripts.
- Other academic institutions may not accept PLA credit awarded by Lone Star College. Students are responsible for verifying credit acceptance with the receiving institution before deciding to pursue PLA credit.
- No more than 50% of credit certificate or associate degree coursework may be earned through PLA. See an advisor LSC graduation requirements.
- If necessary, fees must be paid to the campus business office before testing or pursuing faculty assessment.
Fees for PLA
|American Council on Education (ACE) Transcript Evaluation||No Fee|
|Continuing Education Articulation||No Fee|
|External Challenge Exam||Fee may apply*|
|High School Articulation Credit/Advanced Technical Credit||No Fee|
|Internal Challenge Exam||$25 per exam|
|Military Transcript Evaluation||No Fee|
|Non-Regionally Accredited College or University Transcript Evaluation||$25 per transcript|
|Portfolio Credit||$60 per portfolio|
*A fee of $25 per assessment will be charged for any additional faculty evaluation needed.