Prior Learning Assessment
What Is Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)?
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) is an opportunity to petition course credit for experiential learning, non-credit course completion, professional development, licensure/certification and challenge exams. Course credit is awarded when content mastered through a prior experience is comparable to the student learning outcomes of a LSC course. Credit is generally awarded for introductory level courses, thereby accelerating time to program completion.
How Does It Work?
- Students meet with an advisor to request a credit assessment.
- Advisors/Counselors verify eligibility and submit assessment requests for evaluation.
- If students meet all eligibility criteria, credit is awarded.
PLA Criteria and Guidelines
- Enrolled in a LSC academic program in the current semester.
- Provide official documentation (transcripts, license/certification, etc.) supporting the request for PLA credit.
- Meet eligibility requirements specific to the PLA option.
- Requests must be processed with an LSC advisor or counselor.
- Acceptance of PLA credit toward the Honors College degree plan is at the discretion of the campus Honors College director.
- Credit is awarded after a student has been enrolled past official day of the current, academic semester. The calendar date for official day is identified on the LSC Academic Calendar.
- PLA credit is only awarded when it applies to a current, LSC program.
- Credit for PLA by Exam is applicable only to LSC graduation requirements and will not appear on the official transcript. Exception: Credit for the AVANT placement exams is transferable.
- PLA credit posts as "TCR" on transcripts.
- Other academic institutions may not accept PLA credit awarded by Lone Star College. Students are responsible for verifying credit acceptance with the receiving institution before deciding to pursue PLA credit.
- No more than 50% of credit certificate or associate degree coursework may be earned through PLA. See an advisor LSC graduation requirements.
- If necessary, fees must be paid to the campus business office before testing or pursuing faculty assessment.
Fees for PLA
|American Council on Education (ACE) Transcript Evaluation||No Fee|
|Continuing Education Articulation||No Fee|
|External Challenge Exam||Fee may apply*|
|High School Articulation Credit/Advanced Technical Credit||No Fee|
|Internal Challenge Exam||$25 per exam|
|Military Transcript Evaluation||No Fee|
|Non-Regionally Accredited College or University Transcript Evaluation||$25 per transcript|
|Portfolio Credit||$60 per portfolio|
*A fee of $25 per assessment will be charged for any additional faculty evaluation needed.