Prior Learning Assessment
What Is Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)?
An opportunity for students to demonstrate their knowledge in a number of content areas for course credit. Lone Star College faculty assess employment, industry certification/licenses, non-credit workforce training, workplace training, exams and military service for content matches to available courses. Students benefit from lower costs and avoid repetition of material mastered outside the traditional college experience.
How Does It Work?
- Students meet with an advisor to request a credit assessment.
- Advisors/Counselors verify eligibility and submit assessment requests for evaluation.
- If students meet all eligibility criteria, credit is awarded.
PLA Criteria and Guidelines
- Enrolled in a LSC academic program in the current semester.
- Provide official documentation (transcripts, license/certification, etc.) supporting the request for PLA credit.
- Meet eligibility requirements specific to the PLA option.
- Requests must be processed with an LSC advisor or counselor.
- Acceptance of PLA credit toward the Honors College degree plan is at the discretion of the campus Honors College director.
- Credit is awarded after a student has been enrolled past official day of the current, academic semester. The calendar date for official day is identified on the LSC academic calendar.
- PLA credit is only awarded when it applies to the Lone Star College System program(s) of study.
- PLA credit posts as "TCR" on transcripts.
- Credit awarded for test scores is not transferable and will not appear on an official transcript. Test credit is visible on the unofficial transcript in myLoneStar for application to Lone Star College graduation requirements. Exception: Course credit for foreign language placement exams is transferable and appears on the official transcript.
- Other academic institutions may not accept PLA credit awarded through Lone Star College System. Students are responsible for verifying credit acceptance with the receiving institution before deciding to pursue PLA credit.
- No more than 50% of credit certificate or associate degree coursework may be earned through PLA. See an advisor LSC graduation requirements.
- If necessary, pay assessment fees at the campus business office.
Fees for PLA
|Advanced Standing||No Fee|
|Internal Challenge Exam||$25 Each|
|External Challenge Exam||Fee may apply*|
|Portfolio Credit||$60 per assessment|
|Military Transcript Evaluation||No Fee|
|High School Articulated Credit/Advanced Technical Credit||No Fee|
|Continuing Education Articulation||No Fee|
|Articulated credit from a non-regionally
accredited college or university
|$25 per transcript|
Note: Fees must be paid prior to taking exam or submitting portfolio for credit evaluation
*A fee of $25 per assessment will be charged for any additional faculty assessments needed.