Visual & Performing Arts


The LSC-University Park Visual & Performing Arts Department offers educational opportunities to LSC students in the areas of art, drama and music. We host a wide variety of events and performances, providing a cultural asset to the Northwest Houston community. 

Visual & Performing Arts Building: Opening 2024

Watch the progress LIVE

The 30,000 square ft. facility includes:

  • 338-seat Mainstage Theatre with an orchestra pit
  • 100-seat Black Box Theatre
  • Art Gallery
  • Art Studio
  • Lobby with LED Video Walls
  • Large Music Ensemble Classroom
  • Customized Music Practice Rooms
  • Tiered Interdisciplinary Hall
  • Dressing Rooms
  • Costume Shop
  • Scene Shop
  • Collaborative Office Suite

Art Button Link   Drama Button Link   Music Button Link

View the video below for more information about the LSC-University Park Visual & Performing Arts Department

UP-VPA Video               

LSC-University Park offers a range of courses in art, drama and music to fit your schedule and skill level. Our low student-to-faculty ratio ensures individual attention in all classes. Our students can earn an Associate of Arts in Music and Drama. Students may also take art, drama or music courses that are fully transferrable to a four-year institution. View courses by clicking the buttons below.

Art Courses      Drama Courses      Music Courses              

Frequently Asked Questions  

Visual & Performing Arts Photos

Events & Performances

LSC-University Park hosts a variety of art, drama and music events featuring students, faculty and professional guest artists and performers. Each semester, we showcase our drama, music, and art students and their work, along with performances and exhibits in our Black Box Theatre and other venues around campus. We are soon to break ground on our new, state of the art Visual and Performing Arts Center. This is going to be designed for the student artist to create exciting and dynamic work. 

Please visit our Events Page for up-to-date information

Visual & Performing Arts Faculty


Aaron Alon, D.M.A.
Department Chair of Visual & Performing Arts
Director of Music, Professor of Music
Office: 12.110

Ryan Brown, D.M.A.
Associate Professor of Music
Director of Choirs
Office: 13.804A

William Grayson, M.F.A.
Professor of Drama
Director of Theatre
Office: 12.108

Amy Sluis, Ed.D.
Professor of Art History
Office: 13.867

Kari Breitigam, M.F.A.
Professor of Art
Office: 12.109

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I take music, drama, or visual art classes if I'm not majoring in them?

Yes, and in some cases, these courses can even count toward your degrees!  Most degrees require a core class (see below) and many include elective classes, where you can take any music, drama, or visual art class (except MUSC 1191) and have it count toward your degree.  

Can I take private lessons or perform in a play, musical, or music ensemble if I'm not majoring in music?

?Yes! Learn more about auditions here: LoneStar.edu/UP-Auditions.

Will my classes transfer to university?

Yes!  Core classes (see below) should transfer toward the core in any public university in Texas.  Also, all courses in a field of study where you earn a C or higher are guaranteed to transfer to any public university in the state toward a bachelor's degree in that same field.  

  • Music: The AA in Music includes 31 credit hours in the Field of Study.  All of these courses are guaranteed to transfer to any public university in Texas if you major in music and passed the classes with a C or higher. The AA in Music also includes 24 credit hours of core classes that should transfer toward your core requirements at Texas public universities.  The remaining 5 credits hours (1 credit elective + Class Piano I-IV) are not guaranteed to transfer, but they usually do.
  • Drama: Email VPAC for more information
  • Visual Art: Email VPAC for more information

What classes can I take toward the Creative Arts requirement of the core?

You can use any of these classes:

  • ARTS 1301,1303,1304
  • DANC 2303
  • DRAM 1310, 2366
  • MUSI 1306, 1307, 1310?

How do I major in music, drama, or visual art?

Step 1: Declare Your Major! 

Email upadvising@lonestar.edu? and request to declare your major

Step 2: Set Up an Advising Appointment

Email the chair/lead for your department to request a meeting as a new music major:

Step 3: Sign up for classes and for music/drama auditions

Use the plan developed in step 2 to enroll in classes. See the degree checklists below to help you!

 AA in Music Degree Planning Flyer

Where can I find a list of available music, drama, and visual art courses?

Click the links below for more information!

 Art Courses      Drama Courses      Music Courses



Make LSC part of your story.