Library Services: Students
Get an LSC ID card that also functions as a library card and a copy/print card. Student IDs are available to all currently enrolled students and require the presentation of your student identification number and a government-issued photo ID. Please contact your local campus library for additional information and specific requirements.
Students unable to visit any LSC campus may request a library barcode number (no photo) that allows access to all library online resources by filling out the online Library Barcode Request form.
Faculty members may set aside books, articles, videos or other instructional materials to be used by the entire class. These materials are located at the circulation desk or reserve room at your campus library or center learning commons.
Search for reserves by title in the library catalog.
What is required for checkout?
- LSC ID or valid driverís license (note: check with your specific campus or center)
How long is the checkout period?
- Two hours unless otherwise specified by instructor.
- Renewable if no one else is waiting.
- Some locations only check out one reserve item to a student, but usually it is two maximum.
What are the fines for overdue reserve items?
- A minimum $.50 per hour, automatically charged even if only a few minutes overdue.
- Maximum fee is $6.00.
- Replacement fees=cost of item as stated in the circulation system or set by library director.
- Items with loan periods beyond two-hour checkout are $1.00 per day for overdues.
When is a block placed on my account?
- Lose checkout privileges with more than $25 in fines.
- A block is added to a studentís iStar record for excessive fines/overdue items decided by the circulation supervisor or library director.
Check room availability and reservation procedures for individual/group study or meetings at campus libraries.
Discover how you can borrow items from other libraries not listed in the library catalog.
Your libraries offer helpful research guides to prepare class assignments. Take a look at the subject-specific information libraries offer.
Students needing research assistance may schedule an appointment with librarians by submitting a consultation request.
If you need tutoring services related to coursework, please contact your campus tutoring center.
Instructional media shown in class may also be viewed in the library. Ask at the circulation desk.
Each academic discipline is assigned a librarian who specializes in that subject area. Your library liaison is an excellent resource for helping with library research assignments, suggesting appropriate research materials and any of your information needs. To find your library liaison, see the campus locations below.
- LSC-Houston North
- LSC-North Harris
- LSC-University Park
Lone Star College students and employees, as well as public library community members, are invited to recommend materials for purchase. Suggestions will be evaluated based on the Librariesí Collection Development Policy, the itemís usefulness to the collection, and current budgetary constraints. Use the online form to submit your title suggestions.