Cosmetology Career Research
Conduct a survey of cosmetology as a career using statistics to determine growth, opportunities, types of employment and salons, earnings and demand by geographical location.
Two pieces of information important to searching these internet sites are the SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) code for beauty shops – 7231 and the SOC code for cosmetology – 39-5012. Lists of services in the following SIC code numbers:
Division I: Services Major Group 72: Personal Services: Beauty Shops
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics Links to labor statistics in all areas.
- Occupational Outlook Handbook from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Key in cosmetology or cosmetologists or other relevant search terms in the search box.
- Occupational Employment Statistics – Texas or go to Bureau of Labor Statistics , scroll down until you see the SOC code listed above.
- Occupational Employment Statistics 2000 – Houston Metropolitan Area or go to Bureau of Labor Statistics, and click on metropolitan area, choose state and city you wish to research.
- Texas Workforce Job Market and Economic Data Statistics Search page from the Texas Workforce Commission
- Texas Industry Profile – Personnel Services
- Licensensing from Texas Department of Licensing and Registration - online forms, applications and renewals
|Librarian Talk . . . About Finding Journal and Newspaper Articles!
Electronic databases are purchased by the libraries for your research use. To find articles in newspapers and journals, letters, reference books, illustrations, photographs and more, use your library card to login to the following databases.
For a full list of article databases, go to http://www.lonestar.edu/article-databases.htm and use the barcode number on the back of your Lone Star College ID or library card to login.
You might browse the two major cosmetology trade journals in the Lone Star College-Kingwood Library:
- American Salon
- Modern Salon
The library also subscribes to many electronic databases which contain full text articles from cosmetology magazines and journals.
Academic Search Complete is recommended for this topic. Type your keywords in the boxes provided.
Example: cosmetology AND career.
Consumer Health Complete contains health related information on areas like dermatology. Includes short videos.
|Librarian Talk . . .About Books!
Your library card should be on the back of your student ID/ cosmetology ID badge. If you do not have one, you can apply online for a library card. Use your card to:
The library catalog will locate books on cosmetology which are generally in the T section. Search for cosmetology or beauty culture and vocational guidance.
Here is a selection of books owned by the Lone Star College-Kingwood Library:
- Getting It Right: Milady's Survival Guide for Cosmetology Students. TT 957.G45
- Healthy Beauty: Using Nature's Secrets to Look Great and Feel Terrific RA 778.H157
- Permanent Waves: The Making of the American Beauty Shop. A history of the beauty shop in America. TT 957 .W54
- Milady Salon Ovations' The Multicultural Client: Cuts, Styles, and Chemical Services. Discusses various multicultural markets and the hairstyle trends and retail opportunities in those markets. TT 958. W87
- Spa Manicuring for the Salon and Spa. Has background information, procedures, and in-salon implementation concerning the lates knowledge and skills in manicuring. TT 958.3 .M33
- Hair Structure and Chemistry Simplified. TT 972.H33 2009
- Milady's Standard Cosmetology: Situational Problems for the Cosmetology Student.TT 958.F73 2008
- The Professional's Illustrated Guide to Haircare and Hairstyles TT 972.P76 2009
- Haircutting Basics TT 970.F47 2010
- Milady's Standard Cosmetology: Haircolor and Chemical Texture Services TT 973.M55 2010
- Milady's Standard Cosmetology TT 970.M553 2009
Books on cosmetology as a career:
- TT 958 .G363 Beauty Cultures Careers
- TT 958 .C367 Careers in Focus: Cosmetology
- TT 958 .C67 Learning Express. The Complete Cosmetology Licensing Exam
- TT 971.M553 2004 Milady's Standard Preparing for the Practical Exam: Cosmetology (located in the College & Career Collection)
- TT 971.B38 2002 Milady's Standard Study Guide
|Librarian Talk . . . About the Internet!
The Internet will be a wonderful source of original documents. Browse the sites we have suggested below. Remember, you do want to find reputable sites. Look at: