The Office of the Attorney General has adopted rules for use by each governmental body in determining charges under the Texas Public Information Act. A detail of all cost rules may be found in the Texas Public Information Act Handbook. Listed below are some of the most common charges for requests for public information.
- Standard paper copy @ .10 per page. Each side that has recorded paper is considered a page.
- Staff labor charge @ $15.00 per hour for requests of 50 or more pages.
- Programming labor @ $28.50 per hour for requests that require a computer programmer to extract data.
- Computer usage @$10.00 per minute for actual computer processing time.
- Overhead charge of 20% applicable to all labor.
- Postage and shipping @ actual cost.
- Diskette, CD's, audio cassette's @ $1.00 each
If the charge for public information exceeds $40.00, the requestor will be provided a written estimate of the charges before the work is performed. At that time, the requestor will have the option to withdraw or modify the request. All requests resulting in charges of $200.00 or more will require a deposit of 50% before the work is performed. All charges must be paid in full before release of the information.
If the cost associated with producing the information is less than $1.00, the information will be provided free of charge.